Further notes on 7.4

Tuomo Valkonen tuomov at iki.fi
Thu Jul 3 14:45:19 PDT 2008

On 2008-07-03, Nix <nix at esperi.org.uk> wrote:
> It's just that the good stuff is finely intermingled with wild
> conspiracy theories

Show me one.

>>>                                     Just remove the artificial
>>> reparenting restrictions, make root windows like any other windows,
>>> creatable dynamically with XCreateWindow, and resizable with
>>> XResizeWindow etc.)
>>
>> "Just".
>
> Yeah, when you've done that, if you could float the UK across the
> Atlantic:

It doesn't seem to difficult to me to do, from the X API/protocol
side. Sure some very weird programs expecting static Screen linkage
will get confused, but users needing such will just have to
disable the new features: nothing lost, nothing gained for them.
If your X server code can't with reasonable effort be modified
to handle that.. well, you've done some really crappy code.

Anyway, once root windows are fully dynamic -- when X has a
dynamic multi-display "model" layer -- you could so far as
restoring xinerama/xvidmode/stuff as the "view" layer, mapping
any part of any window to any physical display, that can display
the visual chosen for the window. (Different windows could even
be mapped to different virtual consoles, assuming there's any
point to that.) I think this could work nicely together with
Composite (and its troubles): want to bypass composite indirectness
for a full-screen (game) window? Just map it directly to a screen.

--
Tuomo