Patch to not fork/exec xkbcomp on X Server initialization

Paulo Cesar Pereira de Andrade pcpa at mandriva.com.br
Wed Jul 2 14:34:26 PDT 2008

Daniel Stone wrote:
>> A rewrite may be a better option, but is there any reason we can't put
>> paulo's patch into master for the time being? Worse comes to worst it's
>> reverted (or removed) when the rewrite happens. Trying to debug xkb startup is
>> a pain right now, and removing the fork may just convince my gdb not to die
>> the death of a thousand sins.
>
> The thing is that this still forks, so you're still screwed on startup,
> and you still have the XKM mess.  All it does is cache the output
> somewhere.

  I am attaching a more complete patch. Now it creates a SHA1 of the
contents of the .tmp file. It still creates a temporary file because
the functions require outputing to a file. This could be reworked to
avoid "using the filesystem" to send parameters from one function
to another; just not added to this patch because almost everything
is a fprintf and not so trivial to wrap to using a temp buffer.

  It also requires snprintf, openssl and linking the X Server with -lcrypto.
This is a prototype patch, and for server-1.4-branch...

>> and the thing with rewrites is that they tend to always take longer than
>> expected, so if there's an interim solution I'm not the one to complain.
>
> Yeah, I'm still happy to try the smashing-xkbcomp-in-its-current-form-in
> thing again.
>
> Cheers,
> Daniel

Paulo