ati-6.9.0 unstable dualhead

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 14:22:07 PDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 4:47 PM, Simon Thum <simon.thum at gmx.de> wrote:
> Alex Deucher wrote:
>>
>> When you say LCD, do you mean LVDS or an LCD connected via VGA/DVI?
>> How is it screwed?
>
> Ahh crap. Git server + faily recent ati (6.8.191) does not exhibit the
> behaviour.
>
> Well, I meant DVI in a rush of believing DVI was LVDS-based. It frequently
> switches off and on backlight, plus small visible tearings all along. Very
> seldom, also noise came up.
> I had this in varying degrees, more with my old LCD, less with my new, but
> 6.3 to 6.8 were definetely useable (about once a week it came back. After a
> mode-switch or two it was fixed). Windows never exposed comparable problems
> (except for the noise).
>
> But 6.9 + 1.4.2 was worst yet. Impossible to use.

Are you saying the xserver makes a difference?  One thing you might
try is choosing a different mode if several variations are available
for your monitor.  A lot of DVI monitors are pretty picky about the
timings they like.  if you post your xorg log I'll take a look.  If
you see differences between 6.8.191 and 6.8.192/6.9.0 let me know, as
I made some changes to the pll code.

Alex