Further notes on 7.4

Tuomo Valkonen tuomov at iki.fi
Wed Jul 2 13:47:52 PDT 2008

On 2008-06-30, Daniel Stone <daniel at fooishbar.org> wrote:
> Why not? People who go out of their way to install legacy apps can also
> go out of the way to install legacy fonts, surely? The vast majority of
> users can just go on, content.

As long as fontconfig/Xft remains blur-fascist [1, 2], my software
will require core fonts. If core fonts are removed, I will implement
bitmapped fonts internally in my software. I will not support
blur-fascist font systems such as fontconfig/Xft.

In other news, Xrandr was also ruined by making it Xinerama shit.
I will have my telly as a completely separate screen, thank you.
I only ever run mplayer on it, and don't want other programs to
even know about it. (Fuck Xinerama-style kludges, that only provide
multiple views to a single display model, instead of a multi-display
model like traditional X multihead. Just remove the artificial
reparenting restrictions, make root windows like any other windows,
creatable dynamically with XCreateWindow, and resizable with
XResizeWindow etc.)

It really is time to switch back to Windows. The only thing keeping
me in this FOSS crap is the support for window managers. Probably
you'll remove that too soon... already many apps are not playing
by the ICCCM.

  [1]: http://iki.fi/tuomov/b/archives/2008/03/20/T13_47_17/

  [2]: http://iki.fi/tuomov/b/archives/2006/03/17/T20_15_31/

--