Further notes on 7.4 (core fonts)

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Wed Jul 2 06:43:04 PDT 2008

Le Mer 2 juillet 2008 15:10, Markus Kuhn a écrit :
> And I was about to make substantial additions to
> some of the fonts to improve Unicode 5.1 coverage (which you won't
> find
> for a very long time in most freely available Type1 or TrueType fonts;
> where else will you get the glyph for U+1E9E LATIN CAPITAL LETTER
> SHARP S from?).

It's already available in currently published Linux Libertine,

http://linuxlibertine.sourceforge.net/Libertine-EN.html#spezial

in SIL roadmaps for the next releases of their fonts, discussed on the
DejaVu list, etc

> Bitmap fonts are so much easier to maintain than outline
> fonts,
> therefore they can follow the Unicode standard much faster and thereby
> help to speahead its implementation in many ways.

Please don't ressort to this kind of FUD-ind to support your positions.

Outline font projects are perfectly capable to integrate unicode
changes timely, and in fact it's not unknown-of to ask contributors to
sit on proposed glyphs while unicode.org determines their final
codepoint attribution (because it helps not one to seed the internet
with fonts that use a codepoint that's changed a few months later).

People update the fonts they use and bitmap fonts are not special in
this regard (actually since fewer people use bitmap fonts their
contributor pool is more limited).

--
Nicolas Mailhot