Further notes on 7.4

Tue Jul 1 20:59:35 PDT 2008

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Tuesday 01 July 2008, Adam Jackson wrote:
>> That's really just tempting me to remove startx from the list as well.
>>
> Please don't, unless replacing it with a work-a-like.  I've been logging in on
> level 3, no gui, and doing a startx from there for a decade now.

Just to be clear, the list isn't "modules allowed to exist" - but modules
that we consider to be the core X Window System that you get when you download
the whole X11R7.x set & build it.

The other modules aren't deleted, just relegated to a status more like the
old X Consortium "contrib" - X.Org will still host the git repos, bugzilla,
& ftp sites for them, just won't make sure that they are still building with
current releases and included in the X11R7.x "katamari" releases.   Whether
they continue to be updated or buildable depends on how many people show
enough interest to fix issues that crop up.

For many of the old modules like xinit, you get a bit of a ride from OS's
and distros like mine, for which the effort to declare something deprecated
and remove it is a little higher than the cost to do a commit & release
every year or two to fix any issues that crept in.    (And many of the
modules have had no changes worthy of a new release since X11R7.0, and
the basic libX11/libXext interfaces are unlikely to be broken, ever,
just have newer alternatives like libxcb be recommended instead, so some
may never need another release, or just get a new tarball kicked out
a couple times a decade to get the latest autoconf script updates for new
platforms.)

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com