Patch to not fork/exec xkbcomp on X Server initialization

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Tue Jul 1 16:40:54 PDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 01, 2008 at 02:05:11PM -0300, Paulo Cesar Pereira de Andrade wrote:
>  I talked with Peter Hutterer in the weekend about a patch I was working
> on, to not fork/exec xkbcomp.
>
>  I worked on it, because after some profiling, it seems xkb initialization
> takes around 60% of the time required to start the X Server.  Initially I
> wrote it as an optional patch for server 1.4 branch, but yesterday I rewrote
> it almost from scratch, to not be optional and also adapted it to git
> master.

Hi,
Yes, I was expecting around 50% or so.  If this is tested and working
fine for you, I'm perfectly happy for you to recommend this to people
who need it, but I'm definitely not merging it.  In theory, xkbcomp
should just be xkbcomp(), which hands us back the XkbDescRec it
generates while parsing anyway.

I smashed this together last year and it was phenomenally ugly, but then
I decided to give my laptop (as well as my sunglasses, earphones,
camera, cash, etc) away to some people who kindly let themselves into
our house, and I really don't want to be doing it twice.  But it's high
on my todo list, so let's see what these holidays produce.

FWIW, xkbcomp is getting rewritten at some stage as well.  I'm willing
to believe that alone will cut a huge swathe of time out: that code is
worse, both in design and implementation, than anything else in XKB.

Cheers,
Daniel