EXA Migration

Michel Dänzer michel at tungstengraphics.com
Tue Jul 1 10:17:04 PDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-01 at 19:32 +0300, Shachar Kaufman wrote:
> > No straightforward way I'm afraid[0]. It sounds like what you'd want is
> > a variation of "always" which doesn't move pixmaps out of video RAM for
> > fallbacks, which should be easy to add.
>
> But this wouldn't allocate pixmaps in vram? That is, pixmaps would
> still be allocated in system ram and on the first operation -
> migrated, never to return. I would like to avoid the first transfer as
> well.

Then it sounds like you want a migration scheme which just always moves
all the pixmaps to VRAM no matter what.

> > [0] With current EXA, you could plug in your own allocation/migration
> > logic via the CreatePixmap hook and friends, but that seems like
> > overkill here...
>
> That sounds more like it. Suppose I imitate default CreatePixmap
> behavior in the appropriate EXA hook, except that allocation would be
> in vram.

Note that unless you can always fit all pixmaps allocated by clients
into VRAM or can tolerate BadAlloc protocol errors when they don't,
pixmaps will still need to be evicted to system RAM sometimes.

> How would I then hook into migration logic?

The core migration logic is inactive when the driver provides a
CreatePixmap hook, it's all up to the driver then.