The way to go with new 3D drivers

Shachar Kaufman shachar.kaufman at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 08:04:42 PDT 2008

Having a DDX with XAA/EXA support which makes me comfortable, it's time to
move on to the next step. I'd like to give my simple graphics hardware
OpenGL acceleration support under Linux/Xorg. What would be the way to go
about this today?

Naturally I am looking at MESA to start off with, but am confused which
driver(s) to use as an up-to-date reference which is also readable. I read
about Gallium3D (Nouveau seems like a very active project), I also looked at
the sources for current stable DRI drivers (Radeon, iXXX) as well as the
OSMESA and X11 drivers.