Constant DPI regardless of resolution

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Tue Jul 1 02:38:16 PDT 2008

Le Mar 1 juillet 2008 05:10, Nikos Chantziaras a écrit :

> David De La Harpe Golden wrote:
>> Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
>>
>>>  The DPI  does not change (only the resolution changes.)
>>
>> Terminology: DPI measures the resolution...
>
> Sorry, I should have clarified; with "resolution" I mean the width and
> height of the picture in pixels.  Changing those on a DFP that always
> operates at a fixed native resolution won't change the DPI value

The DPI you see in software in the DPI it controls. Any auto-scaling
done by the hardware behind its back is beyond the software control.

What you really want with a DFP is to always operate it at native
resolution without this kind of scaling, which requires for the
software ot be able to adapt to this resolution (whatever it is)
without trying to force bogus values such as 96dpi.

As you noted forcing a fixed dpi value regardless of hardware
capabilities has a scaling effect that depends on the hardware real
dpi, and is not guaranteed to be what the user wanted.

Redards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot