transparent window - can only composite do this?

Ross Burton ross at burtonini.com
Thu Jan 31 04:07:34 PST 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 19:44 +0800, Bin Chen wrote:
> I know using composite extension we can implement the transparent
> window and all the effects, but if the composite extension is absent,
> can I do transparent window?
>
> Suppose I am using gtk+, I need to implement this in a non composite
> environment.

The traditional hack to fake a transparent window is to take a copy of
the root window for the region you wish to be transparent, and paint
that to your window.

It's ugly, slow, and doesn't really work because you only see the root
window, and not other windows behind your window.

This is why the Composite extension was created.

Ross
Ross Burton                                 mail: ross at burtonini.com
                                          jabber: ross at burtonini.com
                                     www: http://www.burtonini.com./