Questions about Intel xorg driver

Randolph Chung randolph at tausq.org
Wed Jan 30 17:46:16 PST 2008

Here's some more info about my questions earlier....

> Questions:
> 1) Textured xvideo
> I can't get textured Xvideo working on this setup. From some web
> searching it looks like it should be supported, but it isn't. xvinfo
> shows only one adapter:

With the 2.2.0 driver paired with xorg 1.3.0, textured video doesn't
work (BadAlloc message as I reported earlier)

With the 2.2.0 driver paired with xorg 1.4.99.2, textured video works,
but I noticed something interesting:
- When running without a composite window manager, xvideo is very
  smooth, using either the textured xv adaptor or the overlay adaptor
- When running with a composite window manager, xvideo becomes
  noticeably more jerky using either of the xv adaptors.
CPU usage for the two scenarios appear to be comparable.

Is this expected?

> 2) XvMC
> Is XvMC supported on this setup? I haven't been able to tell
> conclusively. I tried setting XvMCSurfaces to "6" in my xorg.conf, but
> Xorg.0.log shows:
> root at goofy:~# grep XvMC /var/log/Xorg.0.log
> (WW) intel(0): Option "XvMCSurfaces" is not used

Using 2.2.0 driver + xorg 1.4.99.2, XvMC is enabled according to
Xorg.0.log. Usin xine, I see something like:
[intel_xvmc] info: decoder type is i915/945 MPEG2 MC decoder

so it looks like it's getting the right interface

However, I don't seem to notice any performance improvements. CPU usage
for playing various MPEG video clips is similar between xvmc and just
xv.

Again, is this expected?

> 3) Screen modes
> I'd like to connect this system to a 16:9 display, but it looks like
> either the BIOS or the chip can only give 4:3 outputs.

I am still looking into this issue. In our test setup we have seen a
weird situation where, in non-fullscreen mode, applications can see the
entire screen (e.g. I can drag an xterm across the entire screen). But
for multiple apps in fullscreen mode (firefox, vlc, mplayer, xine), only
part of the screen is utilized.

Suggestions?

thanks
randolph