Using Xft -- open questions

Eeri Kask Eeri.Kask at inf.tu-dresden.de
Wed Jan 30 08:18:51 PST 2008

Hello,

Having successfully worked with Xft for some months but despite all
efforts to figure out myself there are 3 principal questions I kindly
ask for help to be definitely sure.

(1) Is this 'if' statement below sufficient to check Xft subsystem
usability, for all visuals, screen depths and color models (monocrome,
greyscale, pseudocolor, staticcolor etc.)?

    if (True == XftDefaultHasRender(dpy)
		&& FcTrue == XftInit(0)
		&& FcTrue == XftInitFtLibrary())
    {
	/* .... */
    }

(2) Knowing that XftFontOpenName() is never expected to fail, can this
be expected from XftDrawCreate(), much like XCreateWindow() de facto is?

(3) I have observed XftFontOpenXlfd() loads XLFD-named fonts on most
systems but not on some (XftFontOpenName() has worked everywhere, these
included).  It is documented that XftFontOpenXlfd() does not access X11
legacy core fonts in this case (which have been present in those
questionable cases), therefore the only explanation seems
XftFontOpenXlfd() looks for its own copy of these fonts and they are
seemingly not part of a usual Xft installation.  Is there any common
place (or any common name) how to download and install these?

Thank you for your time,

    Eeri Kask