New guy with Intel 965 issues

Matt Bailey dabigboy at cox.net
Tue Jan 29 20:18:59 PST 2008

Me again, with the Toshiba laptop......first of all, thanks to all who've
helped me with this problem thus far. I removed my mesa and libdrm packages,
then followed the instructions here:

http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/Building

Mesa and DRM compiled and installed fine, and I've depmod'd after copying the
new modules (overwrote old modules....I probably should have saved them, but
as it turns out I didn't break anything). X is still stuck in software mode
(at least it still runs, so apparently my rebuild didn't go completely awry).
But now when I try to modprobe i915, I get an error, "Unknown symbol in
module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)." According to the howto, this could
require a new kernel....???  dmesg shows the following:

Initialized drm 1.1.0 20060810
i915: Unknown symbol upper_32bits

Any ideas?

Matt