Regression introduced in drm/i915 kernel modules for 965GM system

Richard Goedeken SirRichard at fascinationsoftware.com
Sun Jan 27 09:47:40 PST 2008

Jesse,

Thanks for the info.  I looked through the dri-devel archive and found the
patch.  I patched my source, re-installed the kernel modules, then rebooted.

I ran my emulator and glxgears quite a few times and everything worked ok.  I
thought the problem was fixed, because with the unpatched code the system would
slow down after running an opengl program only once or twice.  So I decided to
test for the memory leak, and I found that it is still present.  I opened the
system monitor and started glxgears.  Over about 5 minutes the memory usage of
the glxgears process steadily creeped up to about 1GB before I killed it.

The last minute or so that glxgears was running, it started getting jerky and
the frame rate dropped to <100fps.  I thought maybe it was swapping to disk due
to the memory leak, but the disk light wasn't on.  After I killed the process I
found that the system was extremely slow again, just like with the IRQ bug.  So
it appears that Keith's patch doesn't totally fix the problem.

Richard