cannot get a custom build of HAL to run

Vinay Reddy vinayvinay at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 06:09:31 PST 2008

Hi,
I checked out HAL's source code from its git tree, did a autogen.sh
(with the options suggested in the HACKING file) and make. It compiled
fine, but when I try to run it with "sudo ./hald --daemon=yes
--verbose=yes", I get the following output, but nothing happens:

05:42:31.672 [I] hald.c:634: hal 0.5.10
05:42:31.673 [I] hald.c:643: Will daemonize
05:42:31.678 [I] hald.c:644: Becoming a daemon

('ps -aux|grep hald' gives nothing).

I followed the instructions at this page:
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/HalBuildInstructions, and it
doesn't seem to have anything specific/special. The versions of dbus
and udev are what came with my ubuntu fiesty fawn distro (1.0.2 and
108). The version of hal that is part of the distro has no problem
starting though (with the same command written above).

Can anyone please point me to more resources, or help me figure this out?

Thanks,
Vinay