Intel G35 chipset: screen stays black

Benjamin Pineau ben.pineau at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 04:02:42 PST 2008

On Jan 26, 2008 12:29 PM, Rainer Dorsch <rdorsch at web.de> wrote:

> The BIOS upgrade did not solve the problem for me either (Debian lenny, 32
> bit), there is a minor lspci difference though:

Yes, we figured this out when the bug reporter tried to upgrade
his BIOS and found no improvement at all. BIOS upgrade was a
red herring after all.

So now the BIOS hypothesis is out, I can't figure what I did to get
this working (I must have been accidentally hit by some workaround,
maybe, but a very unnoticeable one: my setup is quite generic and
boring). I'm all open to further tests, or to provide infos about my setup,
if you have suggestions.

Ah, I also did change a handful options in the BIOS. Seems very
unrelated, but who knows... :
      power/acpi 2.0 -> enabled
      boot/fullscreen logo -> disabled
      main/sata config/configure sata as -> ahci
      main/ahci config/ahci CD boot timeout -> 5
      main/legacy diskette A -> disabled

> Can you provide your xorg.conf file somewhere?

It is attached to the bz #14130 bug report .
And it looks very generic to me :

Section "Device"
       Identifier      "Carte vidéo générique"
       Driver          "intel"
       BusID           "PCI:0:2:0"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
       Identifier      "B_101920"
       Option          "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
       Identifier      "Default Screen"
       Device          "Carte vidéo générique"
       Monitor         "B_101920"
       DefaultDepth    24
       SubSection "Display"
               Modes           "1280x1024" "1024x768"
       EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
       Identifier      "Default Layout"
       Screen          "Default Screen"
       InputDevice     "Generic Keyboard"
       InputDevice     "Configured Mouse"
EndSection

(plus 5 unrelated InputDevice sections: that's generated automaticaly
by Ubuntu's "dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg" helper).