stripping off "xf86-*-" from drivers

Jerome Glisse glisse at freedesktop.org
Fri Jan 25 08:20:14 PST 2008

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 08:31:33 +1000
"Dave Airlie" <airlied at gmail.com> wrote:

> Jerome I'm actually worried about this last point with radeon-ms and I
> may have to take the time to merge it back in to radeon, or at least
> keep compatible API, the kernel has no idea what userspace is running
> above it, but maybe for modesetting I can make a split using a Kconfig
> option
> that distros turn on, I'm just worried about the I enabled this and
> OMG my userspace stopped working reports.
>
> Dave.

Please don't, i thinked that the agreement was that once radeon-ms
as proper userspace support then it will be up to distro to make the
switch ie to disable radeon and enable radeon-ms to take advantage.
And we let radeon module default in kernel as long as we believe to
have more old userspace than newer.

I perfectly understand that you don't want userspace people crying
but with the above outlined procedure i am prety sure we eliminate
95% of it (there will still be user with own made distro or broken
small unknown distro).

I have tried to rework the kernel radeon module but staying backward
compatible is a nightmare and this can't be done in a proper way.

Of course i can't forbid you but i would highly dislike working on
a bastard radeon-ms.

Cheers,
Jerome Glisse