Questions about Intel xorg driver

Thu Jan 24 13:42:49 PST 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-24 at 11:28 -0800, Randolph Chung wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been having some problems with using the Intel xorg driver. Not
> sure which of these are user-errors vs feature-not-implemented vs
> driver-bugs vs hardware limitations. Would appreciate some advice... :)

I've got an i915, so this might be a bit out.

> Setup:
> root at goofy:~# lspci |grep VGA
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
> root at goofy:~# uname -a
> Linux goofy 2.6.22-14-generic #1 SMP Sun Oct 14 23:05:12 GMT 2007 i686 GNU/Linux
> root at goofy:~# dpkg -l |grep video-intel
> ii  xserver-xorg-video-intel                   2:2.1.1-0ubuntu9 X.Org X server -- Intel i8xx, i9xx display driver

Make sure you have Driver "intel" in the xorg.conf.  If it's like
fedora, you'll get both intel and i810 in the package; the latter won't
be the git head.

> Questions:
> 1) Textured xvideo
> I can't get textured Xvideo working on this setup. From some web
> searching it looks like it should be supported, but it isn't. xvinfo
> shows only one adapter:
>
> root at goofy:~# xvinfo |head
> X-Video Extension version 2.2
> screen #0
>   Adaptor #0: "Intel(R) Video Overlay"
>     number of ports: 1
>     port base: 73
>     operations supported: PutImage
>
> using e.g. compiz, any app that uses xvideo shows untransformed video,
> or the chroma key when the window is transformed (e.g. with wobbly
> windows)
>
> Is textured video supposed to work on this chipset? On #xorg somebody
> suggested i try the 2.2 driver - I tried it and it didn't make a
> difference.

It is on my 915.  Could you post your Xorg log?  You're looking for
entries like (or more likely reasons why not):

(II) intel(0): Set up textured video
(II) intel(0): Set up overlay video

> 2) XvMC
> Is XvMC supported on this setup? I haven't been able to tell
> conclusively. I tried setting XvMCSurfaces to "6" in my xorg.conf, but
> Xorg.0.log shows:
> root at goofy:~# grep XvMC /var/log/Xorg.0.log
> (WW) intel(0): Option "XvMCSurfaces" is not used

Not with the driver you seem to be using ... it's currently in the xvmc
branch on git head (haven't tried it myself yet).

> 3) Screen modes
> I'd like to connect this system to a 16:9 display, but it looks like
> either the BIOS or the chip can only give 4:3 outputs.
>
> 915resolution shows:
>
> root at goofy:~# 915resolution -l
> Intel 800/900 Series VBIOS Hack : version 0.5.3
>
> Chipset: 945GM
> BIOS: TYPE 1
> Mode Table Offset: $C0000 + $269
> Mode Table Entries: 36
>
> Mode 30 : 640x480, 8 bits/pixel
> Mode 32 : 800x600, 8 bits/pixel
> Mode 34 : 1024x768, 8 bits/pixel
> Mode 38 : 1280x1024, 8 bits/pixel
> Mode 3a : 1600x1200, 8 bits/pixel
> Mode 3c : 1920x1440, 8 bits/pixel
> Mode 41 : 640x480, 16 bits/pixel
> Mode 43 : 800x600, 16 bits/pixel
> Mode 45 : 1024x768, 16 bits/pixel
> Mode 49 : 1280x1024, 16 bits/pixel
> Mode 4b : 1600x1200, 16 bits/pixel
> Mode 4d : 1920x1440, 16 bits/pixel
> Mode 50 : 640x480, 32 bits/pixel
> Mode 52 : 800x600, 32 bits/pixel
> Mode 54 : 1024x768, 32 bits/pixel
> Mode 58 : 1280x1024, 32 bits/pixel
> Mode 5a : 1600x1200, 32 bits/pixel
> Mode 5c : 1920x1440, 32 bits/pixel
>
> Is there any way to get e.g. 1280x768 (or similar) resolution with this
> setup?

Yes:

915resolution 38 1280 768

> 4) OpenGL
> Does this chip support multisampled OpenGL output? glxinfo shows
> GLX_SGIS_multisample under GLX extensions, but there seems to be no
> visuals that have multisample support. Is this a driver limitation or
> hardware limitation?
>
> I also seem to see some depth buffer issues with this setup. It looks
> like with AIGLX, only one visual that doesn't support depth buffering is
> supported? (Xorg.0.log reports "AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support
> visual XXX" for all visuals except for 0x66)
>
> 0x66 32 tc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 Ncon
>
> That's all for now. Any comments are appreciated. Please cc me on
> replies. I can provide more info as needed.

Pass on the rest.

James