stripping off "xf86-*-" from drivers

Jerome Glisse glisse at freedesktop.org
Thu Jan 24 06:48:26 PST 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-24 at 14:29 +0100, Matthias Hopf wrote:
> On Jan 24, 08 14:13:48 +0100, Jerome Glisse wrote:
> > This API things is also a reason which support my thinking that
> > kernel modesetting, ie having driver in kernel side, is what we
> > should do. We would expose a stable API but we are free to change
> > code inside kernel.
>
> I admit that I do not understand why moving modesetting into kernel
> space would change anything here. We can have a stable API for
> modesetting in X as well.

Well one of the point of kernel modesetting is to kill ddx and so
remove one layer in the complex chain of graphic driver dependency.
Also i don't think that low card management (powering it up,
power sleep, initialization, ..) should be in user space. Every others
hw is managed from the kernel. And there is others motivations
that i might simply ignore or forget :)

> > I can't agree more, we are all expressing personal opinion
> > and there is no clear cut as there is good & bad in each
> > positions.
>
> Definitely agreed.
>
> > My feeling is that we have been using current development
> > scheme for quite a long and this development scheme obviously
> > lead to problem in front of the current fundamental changes
> > we are making in the x stack (memory management, dri2, randr1.2,
> > input, ...) so maybe it's time to experiment others practice
> > which have been success full for other project like the linux
> > kernel.
>
> Which means abandoning the just recently achieved modularization and
> making everything monolithic again?!?
> I think the git submodule approach looks rather interesting, though I
> have exactly zero experience in git submodules, I only know this concept
> in SVN. I assume it's somewhat similar.
>
> Matthias

Well i am not for making one repository, big repository are pain to
check for instance cloning mesa is painfully slow (maybe there is
somethings to do about that like repack or some others things but
i am not a git expert and this might be things of the past).

Cheers,
Jerome Glisse