Adventures in evdev-land

Sascha Hlusiak saschahlusiak at arcor.de
Wed Jan 23 13:49:49 PST 2008

> 4.) I started using my system as I was used to do. But I had several
> crashes. I found out that pressing the right mouse button on my mouse
> would crash my system. Very ugly. Also the keyboard was acting like
> crazy for any pageup, pagedown, left, right, ... button (like reporting
> the down-key as Super_L according to evdev).
Make sure no user program sets the keymap back to pc105 (like KDE or Gnome
sometimes do). Set it to evdev managed keyboard instead.

Crashing the system with right mouse button is ugly. I only know that the
kernel likes to oops on USB mouse unplug when it is actually used by evdev
(google for evdev_disconnect). So I moved back to the mouse driver for mice
and that problem went away.

> 5.) I switchted back to kbd and mouse. My system still crashes when I
> press the right mouse button and I can't get a german keymap anymore.
Did you remove the fdi file you created? The hal-plugged evdev driver will win
over mouse and kbd devices in the xorg.conf.

Sascha