modular -> monolithic

Matthias Hopf mhopf at suse.de
Wed Jan 23 10:13:48 PST 2008

On Jan 23, 08 10:09:35 -0800, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
> I'm confused about why anyone would want to implement a custom package
> manager purely for Xorg. That seems like another maintenance burden for

Package manager?!?
We're talking about a build system...
That it should be able to fetch code is different from a package
manager, because we're talking about live git updates here. I don't
think rpm can do that :-P

> something we don't actually want to be involved with, just like imake.

imake had been horribly system dependent etc.
We're talking about something that is actually quite small, it just has
to be written (or extended, because many people already use something
similar).

> There are plenty of package managers already. I know Gentoo's can pretty
> easily do almost everything in the above list, using live git, because
> that's what I do.

Ok, then Gentoo's is probably something we call a "Eierlegende
Wollmilchsau" in Germany (sorry, probably no translation possible).

It just depends, whether the necessary configuration for this package
manager is actually smaller than the bash or perl script doing the
same...

Matthias

--
Matthias Hopf <mhopf at suse.de>      __        __   __