modular -> monolithic

Egbert Eich eich at suse.de
Wed Jan 23 07:30:56 PST 2008

Thomas Dickey writes:
 > On Wed, 23 Jan 2008, Egbert Eich wrote:
 >
 > > Currently we are seeing a lot of API breakages. Some people attribute these
 > > to the backlog of things that have piled up over the years.
 >
 > It's been 4 years since Xorg forked.  Whose backlog are you referring to?

Thomas,

Bringing mode setting and hardware subsystem access up-to-date is long
overdue. Same for memory manager.
A lot of the things we are seeing done today could have been done 4 years
ago. DVI, cards with multiple crtcs, outputs (sorry encoders), connectors,
panels, TV-out have  not only been around since yesterday.

Some people had been thinking about these issues 4 years ago already - or
even longer.

Cheers,
	Egbert.