stripping off "xf86-*-" from drivers

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Wed Jan 23 07:23:57 PST 2008

On Sun, Jan 20, 2008 at 04:48:32AM -0800, David Miller wrote:
> From: "Maarten Maathuis" <madman2003 at gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 12:23:14 +0100
>
> > What kind of drivers are you referring to (besides the non-standard
> > input drivers)?
>
> Every driver that used GC privates broke two weeks ago.  This included
> sunffb and sunleo for which I posted patches which were applied.

Something broke, you posted patches, and they were promptly applied?
Sounds tragic indeed.

> This one is really spectacular, because now such drivers have to
> choose whether they support the pre-SELINUX Xserver or the
> post-SELINUX one.
>
> You can't support both in the same driver source without a lot of ugly
> ifdefs.

Yes, this is called an API[0] change.

> If these kinds of things happen it makes the whole modular driver
> exercise pointless.

Pointless for all of sunleo and sunffb's users, yes.

Eamon warned on list that it was going to happen.  The tree has been
public for years.  If no-one cares about Sun stuff enough to track API
breakages, then, well, no-one cares about Sun stuff enough to track API
breakages.  Life outside of the mainstream is hard.

[0]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/API, I assume.