modular -> monolithic

Igor Mozolevsky igor at hybrid-lab.co.uk
Wed Jan 23 04:19:54 PST 2008

On 23/01/2008, Roderic Morris <roderic at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 22:13:13 +0000
> "Igor Mozolevsky" <igor at hybrid-lab.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > It is easy to build!.. I really don't see why people are struggling so
> > much with it! Here: it took me a couple of hours to write a script
> > that goes through the categories building each package based on these:
>
> Hi there, sorry, but i had to reply to this. It sounded like a joke :).
> If it took you a few hours to write this script, how do you expect us
> regular folk to do something like this when that becomes out of date?
> Or before you wrote that (while the other scripts are out of date)? I
> try to test the latest drivers, which is easy enough, but X is way too
> much trouble to build for a regular working person, so I just use my
> distro's packaged.

Which is what the "regular" folks are supposed to do... If you
download a new driver you can run ./configure --help and all the
options are explained... That's why my script took a few hours to
write, I had to run it several times and on every package that it
puked up, I ran ./configure --help to work out what the dependancies
were put the package in the right order, re-run...