QWXGA / 30 Hz with single-link DVI?

Andreas Schildbach andreas at schildbach.de
Wed Jan 23 02:11:41 PST 2008

Hi everyone,

I am struggling to find a dual-link DVI equipped notebook in order to
drive a QWXGA (2560 x 1600) monitor. The MacBook Pro seems to be the
only one available, but that's far too big and heavy. I'm more into the
sub-notebook size.

Recently I had one idea: What if I use single-link DVI, and only use a
video mode with half the bandwidth requirement than "normal"?

2560 x 1600 x 24 @ 30 Hz should have a slightly lower bandwidth than
1920 x 1200 x 24 @ 60 Hz (which just fits into single-link). The other
option would be to use only 12 bit color.

Is any of the two approaches (or a combination) doable with current
(Intel?) graphics hardware? Is it supported by current Xorg?

Best regards,

Andreas