Mac mini PPC X.org 1.3.0 (Ubuntu gutsy) and Evesham Alqemi S LCD TV

Stuart Langridge sil at kryogenix.org
Wed Jan 23 00:51:32 PST 2008

> > OK, just tried that. I get the same effect with the cvt-created
> > modeline as I did before with the non-cvt 1280x720 mode; the
> > right-hand part of the screen is oddly corrupted. (It looks to me as
> > if the "1280x720" is only taking up the left-hand 75% of the screen,
> > and the right-hand 25% is just uninitialised in some way, or similar?)
>
> do any other modes work?  720x480, 1280x768, 1366x768?  Does switching
> VTs help in this case as well?

If I put modelines for other modes in, X seems to go flickerishly mad
when I start it up and then the scren goes black, although I need to
try all possible combinations of modes being in and I haven't done
that yet. (A question: I'm doing this in DVI-HDMI mode, because that
can actually show X, even if only in 640x480. Should I use the DVI-VGA
adapter and then the VGA port? X dies on startup in that environment,
so it may not be better, but the xorg log for that mode may give some
clues, if it's better to work that way than DVI-HDMI.)

> > Ah, sorry. When X starts, the screen is entirely black/blank. A VT
> > switch makes X appear.
>
> Weird.  Can you dump the regs before and after switching the VT using
> radeontool (http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=users/airlied/radeontool.git;a=summary)?
>
> (as root)
> ./radeontool regmatch '*' > before.regs
> switch VT
> (as root) ./radeontool regmatch '*' > after.regs

Just to confirm, that's:

start X (screen will be black)
from another machine, ssh in and do ./radeontool regmatch '*' > before.regs
switch to a VT
switch *back* to X's VT
(X displays correctly)
./radeontool regmatch '*' > after.regs

and not
start X (screen will be black)
from another machine, ssh in and do ./radeontool regmatch '*' > before.regs
switch to a VT
./radeontool regmatch '*' > after.regs

(Sorry, you're having to give me the Dummies' Guide To X.Org here, I know.)

sil

--
New Year's Day --
everything is in blossom!