Mac mini PPC X.org 1.3.0 (Ubuntu gutsy) and Evesham Alqemi S LCD TV

Stuart Langridge sil at kryogenix.org
Tue Jan 22 18:31:26 PST 2008

> > Is the information I've got enough to correctly calculate modelines?
> > I've looked at http://xtiming.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/xtiming.pl but I
> > don't understand enough about what it all means...
>
> your best bet is to use cvt.
>  $ cvt 1280 720
> # 1280x720 59.86 Hz (CVT 0.92M9) hsync: 44.77 kHz; pclk: 74.50 MHz
> Modeline "1280x720_60.00"   74.50  1280 1344 1472 1664  720 723 728
> 748 -hsync +vsync
>
> then add whatever modelines you generate to your monitor section.
> then you can use xrandr to try them.  you can also use xrandr to add
> new modes on the fly with xrandr --newmode and xrandr --addmode

OK, just tried that. I get the same effect with the cvt-created
modeline as I did before with the non-cvt 1280x720 mode; the
right-hand part of the screen is oddly corrupted. (It looks to me as
if the "1280x720" is only taking up the left-hand 75% of the screen,
and the right-hand 25% is just uninitialised in some way, or similar?)

> > I'm also still experiencing the "switch away from X to a VC and then
> > back to X to make it work" problem; is there anything I can do about
> > that?
>
> What do you mean?  Is the image messed up like above and it gets fixed
> after a VT switch or does it fix something else?

Ah, sorry. When X starts, the screen is entirely black/blank. A VT
switch makes X appear.

sil

--
New Year's Day --