Mac mini PPC X.org 1.3.0 (Ubuntu gutsy) and Evesham Alqemi S LCD TV

Stuart Langridge sil at kryogenix.org
Tue Jan 22 18:01:15 PST 2008

> The DVI port works fine, but your monitor has a funky EDID.  Also you
> shouldn't need to specify the sync ranges for your monitor as the edid
> provides those and they look relatively sane.  You can use xrandr once
> the server is up to switch to the higher res mode:
> xrandr --output DVI-0 --mode 1280x720

OK, just tried that, and I get something rather odd:

http://kryogenix.org/random/alqemi-s/xrandr-1280x720-hdmi-20080122.jpg

I suspected that this might be because 1280x720 isn't one of the
"named modes" in the information I've got from Evesham, but xrandr
only offers 1280x720 and 640x480.

> To make X start up in another modeline specify the modeline you want
> to use in in your monitor section and add
> Option "PreferredMode" "1280x720"
> to the monitor section.

Is the information I've got enough to correctly calculate modelines?
I've looked at http://xtiming.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/xtiming.pl but I
don't understand enough about what it all means...

I'm also still experiencing the "switch away from X to a VC and then
back to X to make it work" problem; is there anything I can do about
that?

(sorry, I sound very ungrateful here!)

sil

--