RandR 1.3 additions?

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 11:20:43 PST 2008

On Jan 22, 2008 1:53 PM, Luc Verhaegen <libv at skynet.be> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 22, 2008 at 01:32:23PM -0500, Alex Deucher wrote:

> > > "Encoder abstraction"?
> > >
> > > Hasn't "encoder" been "output" all along? Output is encoder, output is
> > > not connector.
> >
> > By outputs I mean randr 1.2 outputs.  It depends on the driver.  On
> > Intel they are one and the same as I don't think they support any
> > mixed encoder outputs.  radeonhd exposes encoders.  radeon exposes
> > connectors.  I'm not sure about mga.
> >
> > Alex
>
> The way i have been using the word output signifies encoder, and i have
> been using this naming excessively ever since early 2004. This is also
> what Dave Airlie cut out of the unichrome driver to fit only external
> i2c output devices, or encoders, and this is how these terms eventually
> entered the intel driver.

Believe it or not lots of people (including myself) have been thinking
about multi-head abstraction for quite a while, often independently.
It's awful presumptuous to say you are the origin of the "output"
concept.

> The fact that you saw no other option but to abuse output to mean
> connector means that there are shortcomings in the model. But this is no
> reason to change the original and most widespread meaning.

Where do you get original?  Just because you think output meant
encoder doesn't mean that's the "standard" understanding.  A randr
output is vague at best.  It' just as reasonable to associate output
with connector as to associate output with encoder.  As it's used in
randr, "output" seems to fit connector better than encoder.  It more
or less signifies a monitor, something that plugs into a connector.

Alex