RandR 1.3 additions?

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Tue Jan 22 08:48:40 PST 2008

On Tue, 2008-01-22 at 09:54 -0500, Alex Deucher wrote:

> For one, most users don't even
> seem to know that output properties exist.

That's a UI issue; the xrandr CLI app isn't supposed to be the end-state
of design in this space...

>   Then the setup is
> different across all drivers, and finally a lot more common state that
> should be in the server (which actually has the full view) gets pushed
> into the drivers which have to figure out what exactly the user wants
> based on verious separate calls.

Standardizing the properties and providing better DIX-level support
should fix this.

> We could initially expose it as an output
> property, but then add some sort of "official" protocol for it once we
> sort it out.

Let's keep the protocol and implementation ideas separate; we can put
abstractions into the server which are exposed as properties in the
protocol.

keith.packard at intel.com