modular -> monolithic

BuraphaLinux Server buraphalinuxserver at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 05:55:00 PST 2008

As an adventurous user (yes I build everything on my system but java),
I remember downloading one big file, setting a few environment
variables, doing a make world and then using the software.  With
enough time and disk space, anybody could do it.  Even a fool like me.
 Obviously I still have to use 6.9 since nothing after that ever built
according to directions.

Now you have to be some super-guru to get the thing to build since in
this thread even the ordinary gurus admit the build instructions don't
work AND THEY DON'T CARE.  Telling us to use a distro version pretty
much is admitting that an unpatched Xorg that works is a myth.  Yeah,
the pace of development is fast.  So is diving out a plan with no
parachute, but the end result in both cases sucks for most people.

You guys need to get a build script that works, and have ONE place you
download everything you need in one big file (a distro-agnostic iso
image or something and not having to search dozens of directories) and
then it just works for people with enough time and disk space.  Then
we don't care if it is modular or monolithic.  If it works, we are
happy, you get more testers, and you can spend time fixing bugs
instead of having these silly flame wars.  Make a new ISO once a month
that has been build-tested and run-tested with say real VGA and VESA
mode.  That's enough for most people to have a 2-D fallback, and they
can test your 3D and special drivers and if it breaks they stay 2D
VESA for a month until the next ISO.  People get to build from source,
they can use that stuff that has all dependancies worked out  for them
so they KNOW they have compatible versions that will build in the
right order, and life will be better.  Heck, the kernel is every 2
months - even a guaranteed working build every 2 months is better than
what you have now (total chaos which you appear to be proud of).

Just my $0.02