RandR 1.3 additions?

Dave Airlie airlied at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 03:30:59 PST 2008

On Jan 22, 2008 8:09 PM, Dirk Thierbach <dthierbach at gmx.de> wrote:
> > Keith Packard <keithp at keithp.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-01-22 at 09:10 +0100, Dirk Thierbach wrote:
>
> >> Also, every such block can get parameters, directly or indirectly,
> >> from the modeline (which would also need to be generalized). Then we
> >> would finally have enough infrastructure to support TV encoders on
> >> external chips (some of which need a lot of paramaters which cannot be
> >> easily calculated from the modeline as it is now).

Shouldn't that all be dealt with in the drivers? I see no reason to
ever expose the setup of a tv encoder to the user,

we have many tv-encoders, from on-die ones to Conexant and other i2c
dvo chips.. and I think the drivers can abstract a set of user
properties to figure out the actual settings to program into the
device..

I see the need to perhaps export connectors rather than outputs, as
users understand connectors and physically see things plugged into
connectors but exposing the building block off gpus to users seems
pointless verbosity.

Dave.