modular -> monolithic

David Miller davem at davemloft.net
Mon Jan 21 16:36:13 PST 2008

From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz at gentoo.org>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 16:25:40 -0800

> On 10:17 Tue 22 Jan     , Dave Airlie wrote:
> > I know personally i would never check all the drivers out from git as
> > it is now, and I think a lot of people are the same, it is a royal
> > pita to do this (typing 30 git commands or hacking build.sh).
>
> Matthieu Herrb wrote a script to do that; I'm surprised you haven't seen
> it. I use it. It takes care of the original checkout and later updates.
>
> http://wiki.x.org/wiki/ModularDevelopersGuide#head-a085b56a4b98f5418566ff5f575ca47805bd54c6

Having an automated script doesn't solve anything, it's still
painful enough that developers generally won't do it.

Also see my other reply about grep'ability of interfaces and interface
uses and how a single tree makes that so much more convenient and
therefore more likely to be used even by the most laziest of developers.

Out of tree drivers means seperation and seperation is inconvenience
and ultimately pain.