modular -> monolithic

David Miller davem at davemloft.net
Mon Jan 21 16:22:13 PST 2008

From: Luc Verhaegen <libv at skynet.be>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 20:47:07 +0100

> Remonolithicalisation will not solve the real issue, it will only
> exacerbate it.

I disagree, it will help a lot.

Right now it's such a pain in the butt to go through all the drivers
grepping around for uses of an interface you want to change in the
X server.

This is an important task not only for making sure you fix things up,
but also for having some understanding of how the interface is used
_before_ you make the decision to actually change it.

I think this point is being missed in this discussion.

You should be able to simply go "git grep foo" in one tree to find
this but since all the interface uses are scattered around 50 or
so GIT trees it's way too cumbersome.

It should be no surprise that as a result people take short cuts,
don't do these kind of searches, and we end up with broken stuff
all the time.