stripping off "xf86-*-" from drivers

Matthias Hopf mhopf at suse.de
Mon Jan 21 07:23:18 PST 2008

On Jan 21, 08 12:44:19 +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> > When people have been using vesa for months, for lack of a proper
> > driver, or when people have just bought a new graphics card, their only
> > option suddenly becomes to upgrade the whole X server stack.
>
> Whole or just server core code/drivers ? I don't see the libraries
> changing each time ?

In the old days it was the libraries as well. Don't think that they are
thought of to be embedded again, though.

> The kernel model here is that we do exactly that. Vendors with customers
> who are sensitive to this do backporting. They bear the cost not the
> community. People even roll "kernel of the day" type packages for testing.
>
> Bandwidth is cheap and there are other solutions to the bandwidth problem
> if need be.

Bandwidth is not an issue. The issue is that the kernel tends to have
less regressions, mostly due to a strict commit[1] policy.

Matthias

[1] I know that, technically speaking, the kernel doesn't have a commit
    policy, because there is no "upstream" git where people actually
    commit, but rather according trusted trees are pulled.

--
Matthias Hopf <mhopf at suse.de>      __        __   __
Maxfeldstr. 5 / 90409 Nuernberg   (_   | |  (_   |__          mat at mshopf.de