modular -> monolithic

David Miller davem at davemloft.net
Mon Jan 21 02:48:38 PST 2008

From: Michel Dänzer <michel at tungstengraphics.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 09:42:18 +0100

> On Sun, 2008-01-20 at 14:20 -0500, Bernardo Innocenti wrote:
> > To summarize, it seems there's interest in merging the
> > drivers back into the server tree.
>
> ... by one active X.org developer and a couple of casual
> contributors, AFAICT.

Keep in mind that perhaps some folks would like to contribute
more and help those "non-casual contributors" (in their ivory
towers) be even more productive.  But don't because the
significant parts of the tree are often in a non-buildable
state.

> >    So what I'm suggesting here is that whoever is willing to
> >    rework the core server takes *reasonable* steps to fix the
> >    major driver regressions, possibly in collaboration with
> >    the driver maintainers.
>
> That's of course exactly what's been happening.

In the input driver fallout case, this absolutely and positively
DID NOT happen.

Several drivers were build failing for more than a year.