stripping off "xf86-*-" from drivers

Michel Dänzer michel at tungstengraphics.com
Mon Jan 21 00:34:29 PST 2008

On Mon, 2008-01-21 at 01:31 -0500, Bernardo Innocenti wrote:

> I have nothing against keeping simple, non intrusive
> backwards compatibility bits (although backporting
> patches is also possible).
>
> Not the case in pci-rework, MPX, XACE, etc.

Definitely the case for pci-rework, see e.g. xf86-video-ati and -intel.
I don't know for the other two examples, but I'd be surprised if it
wasn't the case as well.

> Xorg drivers need to mess around several large data
> structures of the core server.  How can we possibly
> maintain binary compatibility while at the same time
> evolving them independently?

Why do you keep bringing up binary compatibility? We've broken it in
about every modular xserver release so far, and I don't see anyone
proposing to change that. The point is that it's usually not too hard to
keep source compatibility across ABI breaks.