stripping off "xf86-*-" from drivers

Christoph Hellwig hch at lst.de
Sun Jan 20 20:29:29 PST 2008

On Mon, Jan 21, 2008 at 05:24:49AM +0100, Luc Verhaegen wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 21, 2008 at 05:16:10AM +0100, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 20, 2008 at 02:15:54PM +0100, Luc Verhaegen wrote:
> > > Ye-ess... Let's all go monolithic again.
> >
> > Going monolithic for the XF86 DDX and drivers written to it makes a lot
> > of sense as Dave and other have explained.  That doesn't mean all the
> > libraries, tools and other DDXes have to go in the same tree.  Starting
> > from day one I never got why people wanted to split the drivers out
> > because it leads to exactly the problems outlined in this thread.
>
> So what people are saying is, going modular was ok. But this whole
> driver SDK thing that we were so glad of existed at the time we went
> modular, that SDK should be tossed completely?

Look at the Linux kernel.  You can still install the so called 'sdk' and
build drivers against it.  But the default mode is to have all the
opensource drivers in the tree and those will have to be updated for
API changes.  Out of tree driver still exist (far more for the Linux kernel
than for Xorg, btw), but it's their own burden to care for
incompatibilities between the sdk version.  You'll find tons of Linux
drivers maintained out of tree, mostly by big companies.