Key repeats with xf86-input-evdev driver

Magnus Kessler Magnus.Kessler at gmx.net
Sat Jan 19 02:26:30 PST 2008

On Saturday 12 January 2008, Magnus Kessler wrote:
> I am using the xf86-input-evdev driver version 1.2.0 with xorg-server
> 1.4.90 and hal 0.5.10.
>
> While some modifier keys like the left Control, Alt and Caps-lock keys
> only generate a single event each when pressed and released, their right
> counter parts generate a stream of key events, as does the left Super
> (Win) key.
>
> Can somebody please point me to some documentation that describes how it
> is determined that a key should generate repeated events? The repeating
> modifier keys stop key-bindings in KDE and compiz from working correctly
> for me.
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Magnus Kessler

I've found a workaround for the issue with the auto-repeating modifier keys.
I can turn the auto-repeat off (and thereby getting the keyboard shortcuts
in KDE and compiz to work again) by issuing a "xset -r <keycode>" where
keycode is the one reported by xev for the key in question (e.g. 133 for
the Super_L (Win) key).

Yet, before moving to the evdev driver the modifier keys would not
auto-repeat. Obviously something in the xkb configuration files is not
interpreted in the same way under evdev. Which xkb configuration file is
responsible for setting auto-repeat?

Best regards,

Magnus Kessler

PS: my keyboard layout is set as "setxkbmap -model evdev -layout gb"