evdev-1.2.0 / hal-0.5.10 combo broken?

Remy Bosch remybosch at zonnet.nl
Fri Jan 18 09:11:42 PST 2008

Daniel Stone wrote:
> Er, so you're complaining about GUI tools, and then complaining that
> there aren't any GUI tools when you're told that they don't exist?

Granted, a gui is nice and easy, but i'd already be happy with some
examples on the net. Especially for advanced options like the choice for
relative of absolute coordinates or mapping of horizontal scroll-buttons
and so on. But from what I read here and there, this technology is still
in flux - though admittedly getting more stable and mature on the hal
side with xorg evdev comming up along with it.
Note that this is an impression.

> Those are a distributor problem anyway, but writing an FDI is trivial,
> and you don't even have to remember any UUIDs.  Just look at
> x11-input.fdi or whatever it is.

I think it cuts both ways. The provider of the technology should provide
the data that even gui-less users can use to configure the system. Not
just programmers with alot of time on their hands or intimate knowledge
of the working of the API/system.

Hand-written configs may not be intended at some point, but should still
be possible. Preferably easy enough or not too hard.

Remy