[intel 965GM] Crash at X.org startup

Jesse Barnes jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org
Thu Jan 17 18:14:22 PST 2008

On Thursday, January 17, 2008 2:08 am Sébastien Soilen wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I compiled and installed the last version of the driver on a Red Hat 5.0. I
> had to use X.org binaries, libraries from Fedora Core 7 to upgrade to
> xserver 1.3.
> All the compilation/installation part succeeded without problem.
>
> At X start, I get this error message:
>
> (EE) intel(0): I830 Vblank Pipe Setup Failed 0

This is generally a harmless message (in fact I thought we removed it...).

> I can see the mouse cursor (the X) for a really short instant, just before
> the crash.
> Sometimes, the system goes back to console, and sometimes the screen stays
> black and I have to reboot blindly.

Hm, if the display is coming up the intel driver itself might be working ok,
but since you had to install some packages by hand to bring RH5 (I assuming
RHEL5?) up to date enough to build the driver, I suspect something else may
be going wrong, like the server failing to find fonts or one of the input
drivers being incompatible with the server...

Jesse