evdev-1.2.0 / hal-0.5.10 combo broken?

Remy Bosch remybosch at zonnet.nl
Thu Jan 17 12:56:02 PST 2008

Hi all,

On gentoo forums there are some problems reported with the above
mentioned drivers. I for one, am dealing with a  non-working  "up".
The proposed method of dealing with it, is downgrading an earlier
version. Is there an other way to get around it *with* Hal?

Issues with hal even got far enough for one maintainer to run screaming,
because Hal  is run in a similar fashion to the "good-old" Xfree86.
Meaning core-only. I guess they have their reasons, but it appears hard
to maintain this package. Or at least time-consuming to keep track of
all the patches that are needed, but aren't accepted.

I take it that the evdev/hal combo is too new to have man pages related
to the configuration of the input drivers (for non-developers)?

Thanks!

R. Bosch

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-641870.html
http://blog.cardoe.com/archives/2007/11/23/hal-0510-and-things-todo-before-hitting-the-tree/