Want to test xvmc branch of intel - need help!

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 07:11:17 PST 2008

On Jan 16, 2008 6:45 AM, Edward Hughes IV <echughesiv at gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings!  I've been "listening" to the list for a little while now,
> but this is my first post.
>
> I have a Macbook Gen 2/B (it was purchased early 2007) that has the
> Intel 945GM chipset which uses the GMA 950 graphics adapter.  A source
> on Wikipedia states that it has VLD and iDCT.  From what I've read, I
> don't think those are implemented yet, but I thought I could test and
> provide feedback anyway.  My ultimate desire is intel driver XvMC
> support that could be used with MythTV, in which case I might be
> tempted to pick up a couple refurbished Mac Minis (some of which use
> the GMA 950 also) for frontends.
>
> I've tried to follow the ModularDevelopers guide on the Xorg wiki, but
> became a little confused and was hesitant - I don't want to wreck my
> current X installation (Kubuntu 7.10).  I've used the xorg-git script
> to download the sources, but this is where I'm stuck.  Do I need to
> build a completely new xserver?  If not, what exactly do I need to
> build?  I am not new to building from source, I'm just new to working
> with Xorg on any level other than an end-user.

I would say that you only want to replace the intel video driver.
Zhenyu said it should work with the Xorg-7.3 stack. So, I have no idea
what's in Kubuntu 7.10, but you can just give it a shot. Install all
the devel type packages for Xorg. Go to the xf86-video-intel repo you
checked out. `git checkout origin/xvmc' and build away.

If you don't want to alter the Ubuntu files at all, you can probably
use --prefix=/usr/local. Then make sure that the linker and Xorg will
use the paths there first. I.e., put /usr/local/lib first in
/etc/ld.so.conf and add a ModulePath "/usr/local/lib/xorg/modules" in
the Files section of /etc/X11/xorg.conf. See xorg.conf(5).

That should be it. Read /var/log/Xorg.0.log to see if the new paths
are picked up. You can try to use the lsof command to see if the new
libraries are in use, too. `lsof
/usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/intel_drv.so' should show Xorg.

--
Dan