X3100 performance issue

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sun Jan 13 19:58:47 PST 2008

On Sun, 2008-01-13 at 20:39 -0500, Richard Goedeken wrote:

> I updated to the head of the xf86-video-intel driver and the mesa/dri software
> and tested again.  The performance seems to be quite a bit better, both the
> glxgears frame rate and the N64 emulator speed.  I still get the error message
> "Failed to initialize TTM buffer manager".

I wouldn't worry too much about this at present -- TTM performance is
currently less than non-TTM performance on this chipset. We're working
on that feverishly and managed to double it again on Friday so that it's
now only about 40% slower than non-TTM. If you want to try TTM, that'd
be cool. It requires a new xf86-video-intel and new drm and i915 kernel
modules.

> However now alpha blending appears to be broken.  When testing both in
> fullscreen and windowed mode, all or most of the output window will be covered
> by a black rectangle, with only one side or corner visible (or none at all
> visible).  Also in the emulator, for sprites which are rendered with an alpha
> channel to mask the opaque part of the sprite, the transparent part is rendered
> as black rather than transparent.

Yeah, we saw that on Friday, but didn't stop to fix it, I'm afraid. It
would be great if you could use git-bisect to figure out which patch
caused the problem.

keith.packard at intel.com