Question re multiple instances of x on same box

Beso givemesugarr at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 07:18:57 PST 2008

try looking into the xorg log, kernel log and and dmesg and see why is is so
slow. there should be something inside.
if you don't see something strange maybe your dma isn't activated. have a
look at hdparm -i /dev/(x)d(y) where (x) is h or s based on the stack you're
using (ata or libata) and (y) is the letter of the device (a is the first
device, b the second and so on). normally on ata stack you should have
/dev/hda. if the asterics is on the best dma then you're ok, else you would
have a great slowdown. this might happen if you're using the old hda stack
without the new libata on some chipsets like the ati xpress ones, which from
kernel 2.6.18 or 19 (i don't remember which) enable dma only on the libata
stack after using the libata.atapi_enabled=1 in the boot menu. before doing
it you must be sure to have the libata support compiled in the kernel, you
have to remove the old ata one, modify your /etc/fstab to make the devices
boot in the right way (modify hda in sda).
these are the first things to control. if everything seems ok in the logs
and the dma is activated then the problem is elsewhere.

2008/1/9, Samuel Thibault <samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org>:

> Gene Heskett, le Wed 09 Jan 2008 09:29:15 -0500, a écrit :
> > But it does seem to take an exceptionally long time, around a minute
> > to change from the c+A+f8 session back to the c+a+f7 root session.
>
> Wow, with a 1GB ram machine? You must have loads of things on your
> desktop to get such a long delay. I'm used to run several X sessions on
> my 128MB ram laptop...
>
> Samuel

dott. ing. beso