Questions about Redirected direct rendering and related issues in AIGLX

Wesley S. wesley at ubuntu.com
Tue Jan 8 10:58:52 PST 2008

Hi, list!

In 4-5 months we are planning to give a 'Compiz workshop' as part of the
Ubuntu Hardy Heron release party in Belgium and The Netherlands, but we can
only do something like that if AIGLX is 'ready' for it. For us, ready means
that it should work fine with most applications, including most OpenGL and
Java applications.

That's why I have some questions, because I'm not up-to-date about the state
of Redirected direct rendering in AIGLX. Is this still actively being worked
on? Can someone estimate how much work has been done so far and how long it
will take for Redirected direct rendering in AIGLX to hit an official
X.orgrelease? I'm also wondering about related problems that AIGLX is
currently
facing, like XVideo support and if Java programs are still giving problems
or not when used with AIGLX and Compiz.

I hope our questions make sense.
In any case, thanks in advance for your responses!

Wesley Stessens and Bart Broeckx