What to blame for ATI lockups after upgrade ?

Jimmy Jazz Jimmy.Jazz at gmx.net
Mon Jan 7 06:10:04 PST 2008

Xavier Bestel a écrit :
> On Sun, 2008-01-06 at 23:46 -0200, Frédéric L. W. Meunier wrote:

>>> Well, it should act the same as previous versions with that option.
>>> If it doesn't then you'll probably want to file a bug and attach your
>>> xorg log and config along with any other relevant info.
>>>
>> You're right. I tried without DRI and got the same after 6
>> days. Then, I went back to 6.7.196, but the same happened
>> today, after 3 days. So, it isn't the ATI driver.
>>

> FWIW I see lockups regularly too (it happens more often with compiz, but
> I remember it happened with metacity (non-composited)).
> As I've changed the whole PC, maybe it's the card failing.
> How could I test for that ?
>

>> The strange thing is that it always happens while I move the
>> mouse. And in the four until now, while the system was idle and
>> I moved the mouse inside a window running screen.

Are you using avant-window-navigator 0.2.1 as dock for gnome 2.20
with/without compiz fusion, python 2.5 and kernel 2.6.24 ?
I get the same symptom as you described until I definitely stopped using
awn. Sad sad sad :(
Xorg just freezes except the mouse. I still be able to run ssh but
restarting gdm slowdown hard the computer
It is like agony. Also, none of the processes are eating the cpu. If i'm
lucky init 6 will reboot the computer ... 1 hour later.

I'm not able to know which of the program is really buggy. It is not
necessarily awn, it just points out the issue.
Anyway without it, everything is working well.