What to blame for ATI lockups after upgrade ?

Frédéric L. W. Meunier lists2006 at pervalidus.net
Sun Jan 6 17:46:39 PST 2008

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007, Alex Deucher wrote:

> On Dec 28, 2007 5:31 PM, Frédéric L. W. Meunier wrote:

>> > Try disabling the DRI or changing the AGPMode.  the newer ati driver
>> > switched back to AGP 1x mode by default, previous versions defaulted
>> > to whatever mode the bios set.  Both seem to have stability problems
>> > on different cards.
>> >
>> > Option "AGPMode" "4"
>>
>> I always had that option set in my xorg.conf (the card supports
>> 8x, but the motherboard only 4x), so the solution would be to
>> disable DRI and, if I need DRI (I don't for now), return to
>> 6.7.196 ?
>
> Well, it should act the same as previous versions with that option.
> If it doesn't then you'll probably want to file a bug and attach your
> xorg log and config along with any other relevant info.

You're right. I tried without DRI and got the same after 6
days. Then, I went back to 6.7.196, but the same happened
today, after 3 days. So, it isn't the ATI driver.

The strange thing is that it always happens while I move the
mouse. And in the four until now, while the system was idle and
I moved the mouse inside a window running screen.