X3100 OpenGL freeze

Fabio Corazza fabio.corazza at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 08:25:50 PST 2008

On Jan 5, 2008 4:30 PM, Richard Goedeken
<SirRichard at fascinationsoftware.com> wrote:
> Fabio,
>
> What distribution are you running, and where did you encounter the macro errors?
>   I had a macro issue getting the configure script to run when I built the
> driver from git.  After a lot of searching I figured out that I needed another
> package.  On Fedora 8, it is called xorg-x11-server-devel.
>
> Richard

Hey Richard, thanks for getting interested. I use Archlinux which is
not a well known distribution as the others, but I've managed to find
the missing package (xorg-util-macros) and compile the driver for git.

So far so good. With XAA I still get the screen corruption inside the
glxgears window but *at least* the system didn't gang. I didn't test
it deeply, just did it very quickly. Taken from the enthusiasm, I've
tried commenting the XAA lines inside my xorg.conf and WOW! Fonts are
displayed and glxgears window can be moved without seeing any
corruption. As I'm running an x86_64 system I have to compile mesa
libs for 32bit and after that I can see how some OpenGL apps (google
earth is an example) will behave with this new driver and EXA. So far
it looks to be a big improvement to me. Now I don't have much time but
I will try to do more testing the next week.

A good test could be watching a DVD using the OpenGL output having set
vblank to 3 in driconf, to see if I'm able to workaround the Xv
tearing issue. And by the way, I'd like to test Xv more to see if
somebody has managed to fix the tearing, although I suspect that has
still a long way to go.

I'll let you know soon.

Regards
Fabio